Thursday, January 05, 2006

 

Vancouver Adults Insult Visiting Kids

Imagine being 17 years old and travelling to another country to play hockey. What must you think when adult spectators shout insults about your country?

I remember an incident that happened to me when I was 7 years old, visiting New York City with my parents and a salesman yelled at me for trying to "steal" a toy by giving him "play" (Canadian) money. I will always remember that. Though it happened many years ago, I'm simply unable to forget the shock and the hurt of being blamed for something I didn't understand.

The treatment of the American kids at this hockey tournament was something all Canadians should be ashamed of. They haven't even had a chance to vote for God's sake. Why blame them for anything? Why hurt them? And even if the kids are able to forgive, and hopefully forget, it's a fair bet that their parents will hate how we treated their children for a very long time.

What a perfect opportunity for our self-proclaimed proudest Canadian, Prime Minister Paul Martin - to put his money where his mouth is - and apologise to all Americans on behalf of all Canadians.


|

<< Home