Sunday, January 01, 2006

 

Blogging Recipe: Add 1 Cup of Brown Sugar Daily

Spending time on this blog was NOT a New Year's resolution for me. Actually, I can't believe I'm doing this. I'm too old, too cynical, too busy to see this as anything but irrational behavior. If I had anything to say that isn't being said by many others, if there were more than a handful of people reading this, if I was getting paid to do it, if i even liked feeling compelled to pull out my little electronic soapbox in the pathetic hope that my words might somehow assure my immortality, then I would be at peace.

But of course that's not the case. Nothing original, nobody notices, no money changes hands, no immortality, no nothing except the house is a mess, work is ignored, bills are forgotten, friends aren't called, the dog is getting fat while he waits patiently, hoping that I'll remember that I've promised him a hundred times already today (it's now nearly midnight) - we'll go for a walk, just wait a minute for God's sake why are you so impatient? .....

I quit smoking years ago. I've been able to abstain from (other) drugs and even alcohol since my university days. It was all so easy compared to this blogging thing.
I managed to hold out for all of 8 weeks. I had it beat! There was an election but I didn't care. There was bullshit flying everywhere but did I give a damn? Not a chance! I was saved! Until... 3 days ago....

I sneezed as I was clicking on the Globe & Mail bookmark to get my daily dose of methadone for bloggers and in an instant, my newfound salvation had dissolved - undone by the one blogging bookmark I had forgotten to delete - Captain's Quarters! Suddenly, it all came rushing back as if it were only yesterday: What the hell do they mean by telling me that I don't have a right to know... publication ban .... hmmm.. google on 'Gomery Inquiry American Blogger' there! found it!

Little did I realize that fateful day how my life would be consumed due to my reckless curiosity. If only I had stuck to the MSM, I would be blissfully unaware of all these things that voters shouldn't trouble themselves about..... Sigh....


Insidious, reckless, a waste of time, of money, everything......
Well, on the bright side, there is one thing about blogging that makes it different from other drugs: at least you can't get arrested for blogging..........



[Leastwise, not until we post election returns before all the polls close on election night! ;) ]

Happy New Year to all


|

<< Home